St. Joseph’s Hospital – History
Edenmore House, formerly Violet Hill, dates back to the first half of the 18th century. Samuel Dick, a wealthy Dublin merchant acquired it in 1787. He built the crescent cottages in the village for his workers as well as the charity school beside the graveyard.
In 1825, the house became the home of John Maconchy who renamed it 'Edenmore' after his family estates in Longford. The railway company bought the house and lands in 1842, in order to build the railway but later sold the property. The house continued as a private residence until acquired about 1957 by Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery, who incorporated the old house into a nursing home and named it St. Joseph’s Nursing Home. It gained hospital status in 1968 and became known as St Joseph's Private Hospital. (Ref: Raheny business association)
The Sisters of Chambery sold the hospital to Dr Abdullah in 1997, and it continued to run as a private hospital until 2001. It was brought into public ownership for continued use as a hospital by the HSE (Eastern Regional Health Authority) on September 24th 2001 and was managed by the Northern Area Health Board. The operational responsibility, including maintenance of the site was transferred from the NAHB to Beaumont Hospital on 6th of August 2004.
Many of the staff live locally and have been working in the hospital for many years. Moira Hazlett (Hospital Manager/Nurse Manager) who is one of the longest serving members of staff remembers that until 1986, each floor had just one night nurse on duty, there was no security, no house doctor, the nurses made the teas, served them and washed up afterwards!