What is Palliative Care?
Palliative Care is the care of patients who have advanced illness, and their families. The Beaumont Hospital Palliative Care Service provides specialist medical, nursing and social work care. Our aim is to ensure that as far as possible the quality of life is maintained throughout the illness and that any concerns are addressed and if possible alleviated.
The palliative care service is made up of a palliative medical consultant, a palliative medicine registrar, 3 clinical nurse specialists and senior social worker and a secretary.
Following a referral from your consultant, a member of the palliative care team will meet with you, review your medical condition, any symptoms you may have, how you are coping and deal with questions and concerns.
The senior social worker attached to the palliative care team is available to meet with the patient to provide emotional support and counselling to the patient and their family, should it be required. The social worker is available to meet with families who are concerned about how to talk to their children about the impact of illness on either the patient or the family, and can advise and assist families for whom this is a dilemma.
The palliative care team will work with you and your main medical team and nursing staff. The palliative care team does not "take over" your care.
We will also help you and your team plan your care after discharge from hospital, either to your own home or transfer to another hospital, nursing home, or hospice.
Palliative Care Study Day 2014 - Presentations
- Symptom Management - Barry Lunny, Registrar in Palliative Medicine, Beaumont Hospital
- Illness as a Time of Reflection and Meaning Making: Listening to the Spiritual Questions - Jenny Cuypers, Chaplain, Beaumont Hospital
- Caring for a Patient with Palliative Care Needs in the Nursing Home - Catherine Dunleavy, Director of Nursing, Tara Winthrop Private Clinic
- The Patient's Perspective. The International Access, Rights and Empowerment (IARE) Study - Bridget Johnston MSc, Trinity College/Mater Hospital/Beaumont Hospital. (BJOHNST@tcd.ie)
- Advance Care Planning" - Dr. Regina McQuillan, Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Beaumont Hospital
- Rapid Discharge Planning - Getting a patient home - Jacqueline O' Brien, Palliative Care CNM2, Beaumont Hospital
- Answering Difficult Questions - Ciara Savage, Palliative Care Social Worker, Beaumont Hospital